Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Snow Day!

(Soundtrack: "Snow" - Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Yesterday was fantastic! It snowed here, and as anyone who has lived in NC can attest, it's a miracle when we get what is considered one Good Snow a year ("Good Snow" def: no work, no school, enough snow to safely make SnowCream and a full-on 3-ball snowman without twigs scattered throughout; usually occurs once every 5-7 years in Raleigh).

Brennan had an absolute blast after we finally convinced her that going outside would be fun. The morning hours went something along the lines of this:

Me: Brenn, honey! Look at the snow!!
Brennan: Snnnoooooowwwww :::pointing feverishly out the window:::
Me: That's right! It's snow! Don't you want to go outside and play in the snow?
Brennan: :::snapping head around with one eyebrow raised like Christian and I have totally lost our minds::: No!
Christian: But, Munchkin, it's fun! Look how much fun the other children are having :::pointing out window to the neighborhood kids sledding down the street past our window:::
Brennan: :::shaking head::: No! No! No!

So, being the 'good' parent that I am, and realizing that my picture-taking-window-of -opportunity to capture our first-born's first 'playable' snow moment EVER was quickly diminshing, I did what every rational mom would do: I bundled her up and took her outside anyway, reasoning with myself that she just didn't know what she was missing. And gosh darnit! I needed pictures for her baby book. (I mean, c'mon - how would I have answered that question 13 years down the road: "Mom? Why are MY first ever snow pictures from last year?" Again, work with me people! Oh for pete's sake - see above's aforementioned definition of Good Snow. Anyway...)

And, the first 'intuitive-parenting-child-decision-override' was a success. (Yay, me!) She absolutely loved it, and when I had to force her to come back in, I got the wailing tantrum, complete with the Gator Death Roll. I'm such a mean mommy. ; ) But hey, I got my pictures, and our little munchkin learned that snow isn't such a bad thing.

Buuutttt...I wish I could same the same for my darling hubby. But that's another story for another time. Stay tuned. ; )

Lots of love, Kristen

No comments: