Thursday, November 20, 2008

It's what you make of it...

Well, it's the truth for pretty much anything, right?

Experience is.....what you make of it.

Life is....what you make of it.

Relationships are...what you make of it.

Parenting is...what you make of it.

Ice cream is...oops! Sorry, I digress - the pregnancy thing kind of took over for a second. ;)

A very good friend told me, in response to my last post, and my stance that I was deactivating my Facebook account because of my desire to ensure that the past stayed in the past, that "It is what you make of it" (meaning Facebook). And I was left to ponder. Is it really? Is anything ever really "what you make of it"?

Here's what I figured out - yes and no. My experiences, my life, my relationships, etc. - YES - they are what I make of them. How I interpret them, how I respond to situations, how I process them emotionally, to a certain degree, determines how it will all be remembered. So, in that regard, I suppose that statement is true.

But here's where I have to say NO - they are not just "what I make of" them. Sometimes, external factors come into play that make it impossible for you to process something as it is in reality. Sometimes, you are thrown into a situation where all control and all choice is taken away.
So what has that got to do with Facebook and my account? Well, here's what I have decided: I am going to keep my account active, because in the past couple of days, I have reconnected with some people that were really, truly dear to me, and who were with me during some pretty turbulent times, or were friends who have made such an impact on my life that I understand and acknowledge that, I am who I am today because of some of those experiences shared with these dear souls. But, I would be foolish to think that everyone that I 'find' or that 'comes out of the facebook woodwork' is going to garner this warm reaction. So, I am hopeful that I will be able to stay in my little Facebook bubble for a little while longer. And, if my account is suddenly deactivated, you'll understand why it was done without notice or prior "Wall" notification.

Love,
Kristen

No comments: