Before you fall off of your chair laughing, allow me to explain. Yes, I had braces when I was 15. And actually, for the time, they were considered 'mini-braces' and very non-descript. HA! Maybe my mom can manage
to find one picture that survived of me in those 'mini', promised 'hardly-noticable' braces. Mini? Uh. yeah. RIGHT. Anyway, when those braces were removed (after a year of pain and torture - well, that's how I remember it, anyway), I swore I'd had perfect teeth for the rest of my life. Well. You know how this story ends. Promises, promises!
to find one picture that survived of me in those 'mini', promised 'hardly-noticable' braces. Mini? Uh. yeah. RIGHT. Anyway, when those braces were removed (after a year of pain and torture - well, that's how I remember it, anyway), I swore I'd had perfect teeth for the rest of my life. Well. You know how this story ends. Promises, promises! So let's fast forward from 1989 (choke!!) to 2 weeks ago at my regular dental checkup. Dentist: Your bottom teeth are continuing to shift and crowd. This could cause problems later on. You know I can throw on a permanent spring loaded retainer on the back of your teeth and take care of this in 6 months. Or, we can put on clear braces and clear it up in 2.
2? 2 months??? Really?? Me: Let me think on it. And then I proceed to dash off to the front desk to check my insurance coverage and find out my ortho is covered at 100% for what I need done. I immediately talk it over with hubby, who promises not to laugh too hard or call me names that will regress me back to my freshman year of high school, and make the appointment. Total time elapsed: 15 minutes. (I'm introspective like that.)
So here I sit, with the wax box in my pocket (yes, they still have that - you would think they would have progressed a little bit on the wax thing over time) and a Tylenol on my desk, just waiting for the numbness to wear off and the pain to set in. I have braces. I am playing a little Bon Jovi, some C&C Music Factory and yes, even some Richard Marx to complete my transformation back to 1989. Hmmm...this isn't so bad.
Talk to me in 2 months. ; )
Love,
Kristen




No comments:
Post a Comment